Monday, November 30, 2009

Postmodernism Back to Back

I had a pretty interesting Friday lecture in my Theatre and Cultural Politics course. So far that course has been pretty lethargic. None of the topics have been that interesting until last Friday.

We were discussing sort of Postmodern politics with beauty aesthetics and cybernetics. It's a little weird and hard to describe. We had to read Alan Ayckbourn's play Henceforward... which is about a man, his cyborg and a strange meeting to prove that he is a competent father who should be allowed to see his daughter. That's the gist. There's more to it as there always is. It was a pretty solid play. Typical of Ayckbourn in that it is absurdly funny in places.

Back to the discussion though. One of the articles we read involved this woman named Orlan who films her own plastic surgeries and sells them as art. Her face is now a pastiche of what "art" has called the human figure as beautiful. She has the forehead of the Mona Lisa for instance because that is what people have called beautiful. It's really complicated but the discussion it incited was pretty interesting.

At least it was to me and another girl. Saraphina is her name. It's a strange name but she seems pretty cool. what happened was we were discussing this woman and of course everybody is taking the very basic sides of either what she is doing is ethical or horrifying. Discussion wasn't really moving forward. Finally, after having my hand raised for quite a bit, I pulled discussion on another tangent. I asked the class how many were wearing makeup because isn't that changing your figure in some way shape or form? Isn't it changing your body even if it is only temporary? It lead discussion down a more useful tangent than the dialectical good or bad of what this woman was doing. Of course, whether you agree with Orlan or not, she has made a lot of money doing these surgeries so, I don't really think she ultimately cares about her face so much as her pocketbook.

Another little incident that happened in class was a few minutes and a few slides later we were looking at this other performer who had all these hooks in his body which could be moved by the audience members via computer. Yes, it's another ethical dilemma. We didn't spend much time on it but a lot of people in class made grimaces or small comments on how disgusting that was. I decided to say something way out of left field and asked, "What's wrong with a little sadomasochism?" Nobody laughed but Saraphina. Immediately I'm like, I need to talk with her after class. I feel like I made a friend that day.

Today in my thriller course we had an interesting discussion on postmodernism in relation to Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. It's one of my favorite topics. The professor asked who has studied postmodernism and I was the only one who raised their hand. It was a good lecture and I got to show off how much I already knew.

What was the most interesting was how lecture actually ended. It's held in the Richard Shackleton library which is a small room with a big table. It is surrounded by bookshelves. Some of these shelves have glass sliding panels. Literally, at the last moment of class, at the last comment from the lecturer, two of the glass panels fell off and smashed on the ground. It was close to three of us, me being one of them. It actually hit a girl's chair but thankfully she was leaning forward. It missed her by about three inches or so. Nobody screamed, nobody was hurt but everybody was stunned.

It was one hell of a way to end a lecture.

1 comment:

  1. What'd you think of the whole humanity/cybernetics discussion? Do you still have the source material for that, I'd be interested in taking a look.

    ReplyDelete