Thursday, December 17, 2009

Last Week of Classes

My last week of classes was pretty uneventful. Although, man do British professors like to give out mince pies or treats of some sort or another.

It's nice. The most interesting treat given was in my Cold War Film course. My professor gave us a champagne orange juice mix. Unlike the horrible, awful, no-good mix given at the social during the winter ball, this one at least had some flavor. It wasn't too bad. It wasn't a home run either but hey, I'm not going to turn down a free drink. Personally, I prefer scotch with a touch of water but you can't always get what you want. Though if you go to the off license then you sure as hell can buy it.

Most of my classes consisted of just wrapping up the year and making sure any immediate questions about the papers were answered sooner rather than later.

The most interesting thing which happened during my lectures happened on Friday before my Theatre and Cultural Politics course. Some members of class met up before hand at a pub down in Selly Oak called the Bristol Pear. It was a decent pub and the food wasn't bad either.

It was also somewhat interesting because I went to class with an energy buzz. The sort of energy buzz which is generated by a pint of Guinness, a double Jack and coke and a Bourbon and water. Discussing Angels and America whilst being moderately intoxicated was quite interesting.

Also it was somewhat funny because the first part of lecture was to list off what are some of the perceived notions about Americans. John Warwick was the lecturer. He's also an American. He said that two of us were excluded from discussing this topic. When they brought up the arrogance of calling it the World Series, I had to get involved. I just offhandedly said that we recruit the best from Japan and foreign baseball teams. Warwick stopped class and said that he thought it was pretty obvious who couldn't speak during this activity. The class laughed but it was worth it. I made a bit of a fool of myself again later on when I was able to list off the years Rambo III and Firefox, both terrible films, were released. I quickly explained that I know way too much about films and had to study them, Rambo specifically, in a previous class.

Now it's off to write papers. I have to write 20,000 words by January 12th or something like that. Either way, it's not a lot of time. I've sort of slacked off until now. Mostly because I don't feel the pressure yet. I will and it will get done. It will get done. As fast as humanly possible but when the pressures on, that's when the writer in me comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment