Sunday, January 31, 2010

An Interesting Conversation

I know it has been a long time since I’ve blogged but I’ve been incredibly busy lately. Anyway, let’s go through this one by one, all the little events that have happened since my last post.

A few days before Christmas, I was up in Harborne to go shopping for some food from the Sainsbury’s Local. I decided to stop into the Oxfam bookshop just to kill some time. I did end up picking up a book whilst there but in the process I met a very interesting old man. He was about 70 or so. The conversation got started by all accounts on a very normal circumstance but was elevated by an odd little passion of mine. I overheard him discussing how he was going to go down to Heathrow in the next few days. He looked like he had done it before so, I decided to ask him for some advice as I was going to have to go down to Heathrow in the next few days. He told me where to go and what to do. He was very nice about it. He asked where I was headed and I told him my Christmas plans. I’ll talk about those later as that is going to take some back story.

He wished me luck but then out of the corner of my eye, I got a flash of something steel, red and blue. I took a closer look and I asked him if his wristwatch was the Rolex GMT with the Pepsi blue bezel. He told me that it was. I complemented him on it. The conversation then went from watches to travel horror stories. He talked about flying to Vegas. I told him that I had done the same and how I flew over the Grand Canyon. He told me about how he was in the RAF and had been stationed in Australia where they had done some nuclear testing. He said that he had personally seen about six nuclear bombs go off. He then told me about traveling across the Orient express as well as taking the Transsiberian down to China. His next trip was to go to India. This was a man who had been around the world. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment