Monday, September 21, 2009

Flight and First Day

My flights were not too bad. Before I left my parents took me out to eat at Hu Hot in Iowa City. That was very good and I can't wait to go back.

After that they dropped me off at the airport and I gave up my cell phone and said my goodbyes. Then it was waiting at the terminal for 2 hours. Cedar Rapids is a boring airport to be in for 2 hours. It's so... dull.

The flight up to Minneapolis didn't take very long. Just under an hour. Once there I walked around MSP for a while and got dinner at TGI Fridays. Whilst there, in a case of serendipity, the song London Calling by The Clash was playing. It was the best possible way to end a meal for me.

After that it was back to waiting. And waiting and waiting some more. The stores and shops after a while got really really boring.

Finally at 9:15 we boarded the flight and left. The flight itself was just under 8 hours. It wasn't bad. It just got old after a while. I was seated next to a girl who was going for her Post Grad work so we talked for a bit. To my right was an elderly Indian couple. They were nice.

I also watched Star Trek on the little TV monitor on the back of my seats. There were a ton of movies to pick from but I didn't really want to watch any of them. I slept for a bit but the constant noise of the jet engine plus the popping in my ears was really annoying. Almost impossible to sleep in a place like that.

Also the food on the airplane was equally as dull. It was just a step above a TV dinner. I got a dinner and a breakfast but seriously, each one could have been a lot better. The drink service was good though. I got several cups of coffee just because I knew I was going to need that to make it through the rest of the day.

Once at Heathrow, I went through customs right away. That was pretty quick. I got my luggage and then it was off again to get to Terminal 3. I had to take a train to get there. Carrying 2 duffel bags is a pain in the ass through that airport. Even with the carts.

Once at Terminal 3, I found the University of Birmingham welcom committee and from there we loaded onto a bus and headed on up to Brum. It was only a 2 and a 1/2 hour bus ride or so. It wasn't too bad. I got to know a few of the international students but most of us were crashing after our flights. I even fell asleep listening to the Beastie Boys. I don't quite know how I managed to pull that one off.

I got settled into my flat and I got everything set up as quick as I could. My flat mates are all really nice. Maggie, a Canadian, lives just down the hall from me. There is also Rod, Caitlin, Laura, Kerry, Mark, Andy, Adam and Harry. They're all pretty unique. I'll make sure to tell you all about them later.

After we all got to know each other for a bit we went down to the Pritchatts Park Pub. Over here, they have uni sponsored pubs. It's pretty interesting considering over at Iowa that wouldn't fly. We have bars but not any uni sponsored drinking events. After we went to that pub we went down to the guild which was converted into a club -- it wasn't too far off from what the clubs are like in Iowa City.

Once we got back, we had tea and toast. Then I crashed.

That's was just the first night. I don't really have much in the way of jet lag due to the fact that I stayed up so late.

More to come soon.

Teddy I will get my sandwich upon graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment