Monday, October 12, 2009

Film Club

I had mentioned in a previous post that I was going to join the film club. I did. It essentially revolves around a massive crowd of students getting together to watch a film in a lecture theater.

The first one I went to was The Red Shoes by Powell and Pressburger. It is a stunning film and one which I was happy to have seen. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves musicals or just films in general. It deftly mixes stage work and fantasy settings with a sense of majesty as, in the middle of a performance, we enter into these characters visions of what the stage work is doing. It's a marvelous film and one which should not be missed.

I've watched a lot of films since I've been here. Mostly at film club or for class. I don't really have any time or any desire to watch them in any setting other than that.

I've already been to the cinema twice since I've been here.

Last Friday, my friend Victoria and I got together and we went on... I guess you could call it a date though I'm wary to word it as such. It was quite relaxing. We went to The Green Man - I'm becoming a fan of that pub - and had dinner. It was just good conversation. Eventually, we both in a flurry of excitement decided to head to the cinema. I have a feeling that the bottle of wine we shared might have had something to do with it though, that's all relative.

We headed back to University Station and grabbed a train to Fiveways. Her flat is in that area. We found out the showtimes and we weren't left with much due to the lateness of the evening. We decided to go and see Up in 3D. It just got released here. It was a bit strange seeing a film again which I've already seen.... months ago.

I love that movie. It was a lot of fun.

That following Sunday, my flat mates and I all decided to see a film together. We saw Inglourious Basterds. Some of my flat mates had seen it before. Some hadn't. For me, this was my fourth time having seen the film. I love that film.

I've noticed since I've been in this country that part of my journey, one which I didn't expect I'd take but one which has happened nevertheless is a rediscovery of what my passions are. I love film and I love literature. I'm noticing that even more since I've been in this country. Rod, one of my flat mates, describes me as an intellectual. Somebody had called me a geek or a nerd. He corrected them.

That was a wonderful moment for me just because I hadn't ever really thought of myself as such. I mean, I know I'm interested in intellectual pursuits but I hadn't thought of myself in that light. I guess him calling me that has been part of my reawakening to what my drives and pursuits are.

They haven't really changed much now that I think of it, but dammit, they have been strengthened. I still have the same long term goals and desires. Now, everything just seems to be coming into a deeper sense of clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment