Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Flat Mates

I really like my flat mates. We are all very buddy buddy. We all get along fine. There are plenty of days in which we just sit around and talk for hours on end. There are ten of us. The kitchen, which is the communal area, can get pretty crowded from time to time.

There is Caitlin, she's a year younger than me. She's a French and Drama student. She's sort of like the mother hen of our flat. Basically, if you had a problem or needed a shoulder to cry on, she'd be there to see you through it.

Rod is 22 years old. He worked once he was done with secondary school for four years. He's into political studies and international relations. He loves to party. He can neck back alcohol like none that I've ever seen before. I played a drinking game with him called Centurion. The goal is to drink 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes, one per minute. I got up to 82 before I had to call it quits. Essentially, he's coaching me on how to drink like a Brit. Don't worry, I'm not spending all my money on alcohol. Just some of it.

Adam is an economics major. He's got flaming red hair. He's a nice guy. I had a nice long chat about Harry Potter with him one night after he got back from the club. He drunkenly made himself curry. It was quite amusing but it was still an enthralling conversation.

Laura is studying Italian and Spanish I believe. After a while it is hard to keep majors straight. She's a spitfire. She knows how to banter very well. She doesn't necessarily talk the most, but she knows how to get a good line or two in there. She is very humorous. She's also a very good cook.

Kerry is a quiet one. I haven't had too many conversations with her just because she's usually in her room. She's nice though. She's studying archaeology. The difference between her and the rest of my flat mates is that she doesn't really go for the whole club scene like the rest have. I'm not a big club fan either so I can relate. Also, she can play the violin pretty well. We could hear her playing for hours on end.

Mark is a physics major. Like me, he is also a third year student. Most programs here only last three years but his is a four year program. He is a student mentor which is sort of like an RA but without the power of writing somebody up for drinking in the dorms (which is okay here) or noise complaints. He's a nice guy. A fast talker. He's from London which is probably why. He does have quite the deviant mind though.

Maggie is also an exchange student. She's from Canada. She works out all the time and if memory serves correctly, she is also going to join a triathalon society or something like that. She's pretty nice but I haven't gotten the chance to really get to know her very well. She's very health conscious.

We do have a 24 year old post graduate living with us. His name is Adam and he's studying to become a medic. I talked with him a lot earlier but I don't see him much anymore because of how much work he's doing. His room is literally just tubs and tubs of books. The rooms also aren't very big to begin with. He's pretty much packed in there like a sardine. He's a nice guy though and we get along just fine. He's also not really into the club scene.

Then there is Harry. He's a first year who loves to club and rave like no one I've ever seen. He's nice when he's sober but I'm not really a fan of him when he gets drunk. At one club, he apparently threw up eight times in there. Twice in the toilet and six times on the dance floor either in the corner or in a glass before he got thrown out. While that's kind of impressive that he was able to do that eight times before he got caught, it's also not very flattering. Don't get me wrong though, he is a nice guy and he will be there if any of us gets into trouble. For instance, we all went out to the club Risa. I got lost in the shuffle after a few hours. He found me on the street and we all piled into a cab. If he hadn't found me, I don't really know how I would have gotten home. We have gotten a noise complaint filed against us, in no small part due to him shouting chants on weekdays whilst he's absolutely plastered.

No comments:

Post a Comment