Monday, October 12, 2009

First Week of School

Admittedly, this is a little late.

My first week of school went fine. Finding all of my classes was simple and easy enough. Except for my class at the Selly Oak campus which is about a 50 minute walk from the main campus. I have been given a bus pass for that course. However, I did not realize that there is more than one 44 bus. They all go to the same places but at different times. I got on the 44 going into City Center when I should have gotten a bus heading up Bristol Road, headed towards Selly Oak. I ended up there just the same but it was about 10 minutes later than I needed to be. I was on the bus for about 50 minutes instead of just the normal 10 minute ride between the main campus and Selly Oak.

It could have been worse. While I was late, I still managed to participate in a class of about 60.

The most interesting first class had to be my Cold War and Film course, not so much for the course itself but for what happened afterwards. It was just an introductory day in which we went around the table introduced ourselves, got the syllabus and left.

Afterwards though, I got to talking to one of my classmates, Victoria Lester. We went down to Selly's Sausage for a full English - which is massive I might add - and proceeded to have a five hour conversation which covered a lot of topics. I can't really remember them all. We didn't really plan on having that long of a conversation. It just happened that way.

My other courses are fine. Most of them are small discussion based courses. I enjoy them all and they are all interesting albeit some are more interesting than others. I'm not a big fan of my Voicing Women course mostly due to the fact that it is stuff written in and around Shakespeare's time. It's tough material to read.

I am enjoying my Thriller, Film and Theory course. That is a lot of fun. We are reading stuff ranging from Edgar Allen Poe, Sherlock Holmes, The Big Sleep and other detective based fiction. Thrillers. Light easy reading which is fun and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment