Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ghosts

The play I saw in the afternoon was Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen. It’s a Victorian play revolving around the sins of the father tainting an entire family. It’s a social critique play. I think the play is a well written play and it was well acted for the most part. There was one performer, the son who has syphilis, which was kind of a boring performance. He felt like he was in there for pretty obvious drama and he really only played him in the standard fashion of always having this glazed look over his eyes. I get it, you’ve gone crazy.

The other actors did a fine job especially the man who played the minister character as well as the woman who played the wife. It ended though in a lackluster fashion. I understood the dramatic weight of it but it didn’t pack the emotional punch it should have.

The set was well done, minor in detail but heavy on placement.

I also enjoyed the theatre itself. It was the Duchess. I saw Endgame in there last December. It is a very small theatre. There really isn’t a bad seat in the house. You are always going to have a perfect view of the action while also feeling especially close to the stage. This may not have been my favorite play but The Duchess is probably my favorite theatre mainly due to its size and providing such an intimate space for drama to unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment